Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weird Food Wednesday: Kombucha


I have seen this drink a lot in some of the stores I have frequented, like Native Roots and Whole Foods. I was totally unprepared for this drink. Initially I tried the Original Flavor Organic Raw Kombucha. I expected tea, some medicinal flavor maybe. It talked about probiotics and fermentation. I expected it to be nasty, but entertaining as a blog post.



The first whiff was of vinegar and very off-putting. I think it was the fermentation smell that had settled on the cap, kinda had an apple cider vinegar smell. That's the best of the vinegar smells, but still...vinegar. I was totally not expecting the burst of natural carbonation on my tongue. It's powerful at first, but it calms down much more quickly than say the carbonation from a soda. This is more natural. It is sweet, but not cloyingly so. That makes sense. The whole bottle only has 4g of sugar in it. It is also tangy. There's still a medicinal quality about it, but it's not unpleasant. I don't know that I would drink it on a regular basis, particularly with the weird stuff floating in it. However, for an occasional good-for-me boost it probably would not be too bad.

I do know there some kombucha drinks that have strained out the "mother" and next time I try kombucha I will probably try that kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment